There are not many good quality directory themes available for WordPress. However there are two that stand high above the rest; WooThemes Listings and DirectoryPress. DirectoryPress is best for building website directories, while WooThemes Listings works very well as a niche marketing product site.
In this article I will give an overview of WooThemes Listings and its child-theme, Bookclub.
Listings by WooThemes
This offering from WooThemes is one of the most effective niche marketing listing/directory themes available for WordPress. Its main strength lies in two areas: its content builder which allows for multiple custom post types, taxonomies and custom fields to be generated; and its advanced search capabilities which can be set up so that users can search for any custom field you create (e.g. ISBN or serial number).
Listings by WooThemes also has front-end uploading, a featured items slider, clean design and various widget options.
A Listings child-theme called Bookclub is also available, and I use this for many of my own niche websites.
Bookclub is dependent on Listings. Its features include:
- Custom Homepage – with featured titles carousel (tag based); recently listed books; category modules; & 3 custom widget areas. All these features are optional and can be set-up quickly via options in the dashboard.
- Author Pages – these list available works by an author, and have areas for you to include an author biography & author image.
- Publisher pages – simply click on link to see other titles from the same publisher.
- Custom post types, taxonomies and fields.
- A separate blog can easily be added by using one of the built-in custom page templates.
- Conventional WordPress posts and pages can be set-up with sidebar menus.
- Twitter feed option for your homepage footer.
- Buy now button for affiliate links
- Book cover images, affiliate links and book cost fields are built-in.
Listings and Bookclub are enterprise themes, meaning that they are more expensive than other standard themes. You can give them a test run via the demo on WooThemes site, which is what I did before deciding that they were right for my niche marketing needs.
Note, in order to get custom fields showing up in posts, you need to insert some simple php in the theme or child-themes file via ftp / cPanel, etc. This is easy enough to do, and you can find video and written tutorials on WooThemes site, along with a great deal of information in their support forums.
Personally, I joined their club, as it gives me access to all 90+ themes, plus forum support, theme upgrades and access to new themes.
Whatever you decide, if you’re serious about making money from niche marketing and product based websites, then WooThemes Listings and Bookclub are to be seriously considered.