Mozy is a backup service that takes the headache out of saving your valuable files. I’ve had two serious computer crashes in the past 5 years, and the first time around I lost a great deal of data. While I backed up my files every month, I still lost much of importance and wasted days re-doing a number of articles.
After that initial incident I looked into automatic online backup software, and after shopping around / reading reviews I settled on Mozy.
There are a number of other choices out there which are also of a good quality, but for me Mozy came out on top.
Mozy charges (as of early 2012) £4-99/$5-99 a month for their home service, which allows users to store up to 50 gigabytes worth of files. They also offer a free service, with a 2 gigabytes cutoff point.
Their top tier solution is called “MozyPro” which is aimed at businesses.
Mozy has numerous useful features, including:
- Automatic Backup. No need to worry about forgetting yourself, Mozy will do everything for you by the clock.
- Ability to backup Outlook Files (needs to be manually configured).
- Excellent support / help info, and an easy to navigate website (some backup sites are not user friendly so this was an important factor for me)
- Only backs up new / altered parts of files, so the process is sped up compared to competing software that backs everything up, every time.
- User friendly service.
- You can access your backed up files from anywhere, as long as you have an internet connection, of course.
- Mobile access. This is becoming more important to people lately with many people using wi-fi connected mobile phones.
1. Free Mozy
If you use Mozy’s free service you can store up to 2 gigs. Click here, to try their free online storage service.
Click here for the latest MozyHome Prices
MozyPro uses a per computer license, currently set at £2-99/$3.95 p/o + $0.50/GB per month and server licenses at £5-59/$6.95 per month + £0.40/$0.50/GB per month.
While there is no such thing as perfect security, Mozy provides some of the best secure storage out there. Mozy uses 128-bit SSL encryption every time you transfer data, and you’re stored data is protected by 448-bit Blowfish encryption. Users of the MozyPro service can also make use of military level 256-bit AES encryption.
Who are Mozy?
Mozy was created in 2005 are owned by the EMC corporation who are a Fortune500 company. With a long-term track record of serving high-end businesses, they’ve proved themselves to be one of the most reliable and trustworthy companies specializing in online backup.
I had intended to use an online backup service for some years, and I still regret not getting on with it earlier. At around $6-00 a month, it’s not expensive and Mozy may be one of the best PC related investments you make.